Modern Science Fiction
(Includes free shipping within the US. Please contact us for shipping costs to other destinations or wholesale/bulk orders. International shipping can unfortunately be quite costly; you may do better through local bookstores. Also available to order by mail.)
Or Buy Now in: EBOOK EDITION | PAPERBACK
This title is also available in print in hardback and paperback.
Essays by John W. Campbell, Jr., Anthony Boucher, Don Fabun, Fletcher Pratt, Rosalie Moore, L. Sprague de Camp, Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, Philip Wylie, Gerald Heard, and Reginald Bretnor. The original 1953 edition was the first serious discussion of modern science fiction as literature. The San Francisco Chronicle said: "The book is very likely to recruit a whole host of new readers.... A freely argued, objective, highly individualistic study by ten writers of the origins, advances and future prospects of science fiction as a spontaneous living literature." The essays are grouped in three sections: "Science Fiction Today," "Science Fiction as Literature," and "Science Fiction, Science, and Modern Man." This classic symposium is a fit companion to Mr. Bretnor's later books Science Fiction, Today and Tomorrow and The Craft of Science Fiction. This new edition adds a preface by the editor, a chapter of notes and corrections, and a complete index. Table of Contents
- Retrospect and Prospect by Reginald Bretnor
- Preface to the First Edition by Reginald Bretnor
- Science Fiction Today
- The Place of Science Fiction by John W. Campbell, Jr.
- The Publishing of Science Fiction by Anthony Boucher
- Science Fiction in Motion Pictures, Radio, and Television by Don Fabun
- Science Fiction as Literature
- A Critique of Science Fiction by Fletcher Pratt
- Science Fiction and the Main Stream by Ray Bradbury
- Imaginative Fiction and Creative Imagination by L. Sprague de Camp
- Science Fiction, Science, and Modern Man
- Social Science Fiction by Isaac Asimov
- Science Fiction: Preparation for the Age of Space by Arthur C. Clarke
- Science Fiction and Sanity in an Age of Crisis by Philip Wylie
- Science Fiction, Morals, and Religion by Gerald Heard
- The Future of Science Fiction by Reginald Bretnor
- Notes and Corrections
This ebook is in your choice of formats that work for almost every ebook reader and has no copy protection ("DRM"). Read it on any reader you want, any time.
We hope you enjoy the ebook! If you like it, please tell others to visit www.ReAnimus.com/1526
Don't have an ereader? Try a
Kindle from Amazon.com |
(The Kindle HD is especially nice) Buy your Kindle from us — same low price, and a portion of each Kindle sale goes to support the Critique.org Writers Workshops.